Monday, February 7, 2011

Simplicity

Simplicity at its best...that is how my friend described riding the bus and urban living. We both agreed that the places and events we want to attend, downtown and otherwise are so easy to get to on the bus. And for those of us who live on the bus line, we have curb side service! For instance, this past weekend, I went to hear the Jazz Workshop's tribute to Sarah Vaughn at the Frist Center. It was spectacular! There was free entrance to the exhibits and the jazz show, all accessible on the bus. Afterward, I wasn't worried about getting my parking validated or fighting traffic out of the parking lot. I just walked out right out front and caught the next bus heading my direction. Simple pleasure is what I would add to my friend's definition of urban living, including riding the bus.
So maybe you could think of ways you could simplify your life, even if it doesn't mean giving up your car. Maybe driving less, exercising more, spending less time consuming and more time with friends and family...whatever you decide will make your life less complicated. A great prophet once said, 'If your eye (life) is simple (clear, focused), your whole body will be be bright.' I never realized being without a vehicle would help me find simplicity, but it really has.