Thursday, February 17, 2011

Encouragement

What is there these days that encourages us? There are many discouraging events that occur in our daily lives and conversations, plenty of unpleasant news events and happenings that can rob us of joy and contentment. But if we look hard enough, there are also glimmers of light and encouragement all around us every day if we take the time to acknowledge them as such.
Even on the bus, there are plenty of things that one could complain about: overcrowding sometimes, loud conversations that you don't really care to overhear, and that occasional unpleasant odor that makes everyone look around and wonder (or open a window). But there are also those events that make you smile and feel lighter and hopeful for the world, or at least your city.
Like yesterday morning, when I made my son give up his seat for a lady to be able to sit, hoping to teach a lesson that he and others would take note of. To my pleasant surprise, another young man about the same age was paying attention, so when another seat became available and a different young man started to sit down, the attentive young man told him to offer it to another older woman who was standing. Although she declined the seat (the second boy promptly sat in it), the adults warmly commended the first boy for his mannerly offering.
And this morning, an older friend on the bus encouraged me by telling me of the ways she is taking better care of her health and weight, ways she is saving money and planning for the future; she is close to 70 years old! She gives us all something to look forward to. And this evening, I ran into my friend who appreciates peace; she has found such peace in her heart and home and is happy to share it with all she meets. I was encouraged. But, the icing on the cake for me was to meet another friend who we have watched work hard and attend classes to obtain her high school diploma. She told us before that she struggles with math, and I offered to help. She hasn't taken me up on it in for a long time; tonight she asked me for help. On the way home we reviewed her homework and came up with strategies that will help her remember and understand the material. Before I reached my stop, she asked me if I would come to her graduation and watch her get her diploma. I told her I would be honored. The opportunity to encourage and be encouraged made my day. All in a day's commute...