Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Inspiration

This morning on the bus I saw my friend whose daughter lost her battle against terminal brain cancer. She was sad but bolstered by her found memories of her daughter, the fact that the family was there with her when she passed and that she is no longer suffering. As usual, my friend was an inspiration to me, even as they were on the way to a doctor's appointment to follow up on another daughter's brain tumor, to confirm that it is not cancerous as well. To look at the light in the mother's eyes and the beauty of her daughter, you would never know that they are dealing with such illness and sadness. Yet their resiliency reminds me to focus on the things we all have to be thankful for, despite our current circumstances or any challenges we may face. This family has certainly inspired me. If I were not riding the bus, I may have never met them, and for that I am thankful.