Sunday, January 2, 2011

Always Learning

When you are carless and carefree, it doesn't mean that you must be an island. In addition to the wonderful support of family, friends and coworkers, we have had much assistance along the way. Especially when it comes to our other modes of transportation (biking and walking) we have made friends that have helped us probably more than they realize.
For instance, this past summer we were biking to many destinations throughout the neighborhood; we would bike for pleasure and purpose to the store, library and to the park. When we started out, our bikes were not in the best shape, so thanks to our friend Dan at the Nashville Bicycle Lounge we were able to get on the road safely. He helped to assess our bikes, made the needed repairs and offered advice to help us get the most out of this alternate form of transportation. By the way, Dan told us he hasn't owned a car for years; he bikes or walks virtually everywhere he needs or wants to be. He gets it!
Then last week in my quest for the best walking shoe, I ventured into The Walking Company in the Green Hills Mall. Joshua, the manager there was as enthusiastic about great walking shoes as I am about walking! I received an education about the history of clogs and the difference between the Dansko shoes I went in looking for and the original clogs called Sanita. As it turns out, the original Danish clogs (since 1907) are Sanitas; Dansko simply imported them to the USA under the Dansko name brand. Then, for many years Sanita manufactured clogs for Dansko. The Sanita and Dansko relationship ended in the Fall 2007. Since then, all Sanita manufactured products sold in the USA have been sold exclusively under the Sanita brand. Who knew? Thanks to Joshua, now I do and thought you would like to know, also! I tried on both shoes and must admit, the Sanita story and fit suited me better than Dansko. I was most impressed that Joshua not only helped me understand why these shoes would improve my gait, but taught me the history of each shoe company that helped me align my purchase with my priorities. Again, someone who 'gets it'!
Last but not least, a huge thank you to all of our friends, family and coworkers who have offered us a lift as we walk by. We are learning that although we can thrive and not drive, when offered a ride it's okay to graciously accept. I must admit, there have been occasions where I resented being offered a ride, seeing it as pity instead of compassion. But I am learning to appreciate the kindness of others without imputing motives. So, whether you have offered us a ride and we accepted or declined, we thank you. This has been and will continue to be a learning process.