Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Increased Ridership

The buses lately have been fuller than usual. I would like the reason is because everyone has been reading my blog and they agree that public transportation is the way to go! I also have a theory that the local economy is picking up and people have more places to go and people to see. I am sure that many bus riders refuse or are unable to pay the ever increasing gas prices and find the bus much more economical. In fact, I overheard one rider recently remark that she is only filling up her gas tank once every couple of weeks now that she rides the bus to work! Whatever the reasons, I am thrilled to see the increased ridership, even if it means my morning commute is more crowded than usual.
This morning, our bus to downtown was so full that we were running behind because the driver had to stop more often to pick up passengers. We made it downtown, but had to jump off the bus (not literally) before we arrived at the depot so we could walk a couple of blocks up to catch our connecting bus after it leaves the depot. If we had ridden all the way to the depot, we would have missed it; we made it. After dropping my son off at school, I walked another couple of block to catch a different bus that will take me to my class at Belmont. After class, I walk a couple of blocks back in the same direction to catch my forth bus of the morning to work. It sounds complicated, but it really isn't once you learn the routes and arrival times. Actually, it's a nice challenge to figure it all out, and a great way to get where you need to go and stay in shape at the same time! Judging from how crowded the buses are lately, it seems that more people in Nashville agree.