Friday, December 23, 2011

Walking as Therapy

I've confirmed something I've known and needed for many years: walking is therapy for my mind, body and spirit. I've been riding the bus with a new approach; I walk along the bus route until the bus 'catches up' with me. It has become kind of a game to make sure the bus doesn't pass me as I enjoy my walk. No matter the weather, rain or shine, cold or hot, walking is dual purpose, getting to a destination and clearing my head and lungs. This fact is lost on drivers who don't get the chance to get from behind the wheel and get some real fresh air and exercise. Driving to the gym to work out on a machine isn't quite the same as a walk around the block or in the park. During this crazy busy holiday season, if you want to refresh yourself, try walking as therapy.

No comments: