Friday, December 2, 2011

Like a Family

Tonight I decided to ride my bike to the local pizza joint for a couple of slices and enjoyed the cool breeze along the way (ok, it was a little cold, but I kept moving). Anyway, on the way back with my pizza in tow, I decided not to ride my bike up the hill, so I walked it on the sidewalk instead. Behind me a heard a car horn toot, and as I looked around I spotted an MTA Access Ride Van. The van slowed down and pulled over at the top of the hill and put on the hazard lights to signal other vehicles to go around.

I was close to my house, but knew the van had stopped for me. So I approached the van and the driver asked, 'Does your bike have a flat, or did you just not want to take that hill?' to which I answered the latter. Then he asked about my missing helmet, which I usually wear but didn't since I was going a short distance and stayed on the sidewalk. But I was touched by his concern for my safety. He went on to ask how far I had to go and reminded me that people are 'drinking out here' since it's the weekend. I told him I was now right in front of my house, but thanked him for looking out for me. I told him that having the drivers and passengers look out for me and for one another makes me feel safer in this often dangerous world. He replied,'Be safe out here; God loves you!' And right then I thought, 'Yes, He does!'

I have stated before that the people we see practically every day on the bus become like a family. Sometimes, we interact with them more than we do our actual families! So, we look out for each other; even the drivers keep an eye out for passengers to make sure they are safe, even those not riding on their particular bus as my experience tonight demonstrates. We take care of each other, just like a family.

No comments: