Friday, November 4, 2011

Balance

Today on my way into work, I ran into my friend who I mentioned in a post over a year ago (Sacrifices Parents Make). He came from Ethiopia and worked very hard to make sure his children received the very best education possible so they would have opportunities available to him that he didn't have. He has worked without complaint for many years, and now his children are all doing well at various universities.

This morning I saw him, and to my delight, he told me that he is now in school! He changed his work schedule to work nights so he can attend Vanderbilt University during the day. I felt like a proud parent myself! I am so excited for him, that now after making sure his children can pursue their dreams, he can now pursue his own. Behind his almond colored skin and pure white hair were bright sparkling eyes as he got on the bus with his laptop bag in one hand and his lunch bag in the other. I am so happy for him.

The lesson I learned on my very full bus today is that is never too late to pursue your goals, even when you've spent many years supporting or helping others. Take time out for yourself. Generosity is vital to a happy life,  but a very wise man once said, 'Love your neighbor as you love yourself'; the balance of those two loves is what my friend has found. I'm working toward that balance, too.

No comments: