Monday, November 21, 2011

Private/Public Phone Conversations

When I started this blog, I wanted to share my discoveries and adventures from riding the bus. My goal was to show the bright side of public transportation, hoping that more people in Nashville would appreciate the benefits. I wanted to share only the positive, thinking the not so positive perception is what most people have already.

But I'm appreciating that it is the people that ride the bus that makes the stories, the good, bad and indifferent, not just the positive experiences. So, I'm going to be sharing more stories that I find interesting in the hopes that you will, too. I don’t want to offend, but when dealing with the public, things are not always so pleasant.

Often on the bus everyone gets the chance to hear even the most private phone conversations of less discreet riders, whether you want to or not. This morning, one woman didn't mind everyone on the bus hearing about her drug treatment program. And she also didn't mind that we overheard her re-assuring her current lover about their contraceptive choices! Finally, she told him that she couldn't go into any further detail (thank goodness!) because there were children on the bus. Even the adults on the bus were embarrassed for her and collectively said a silent 'Thank you!' when she finally ended the phone conversation. I thought that her conversation would be a great public service announcement about the dangers of drug use; hopefully, the children and adults riding this morning took note.

Otherwise, the ride in was uneventful, and I actually made it to work earlier than my co-workers who drove and got caught in traffic. But, I bet their commute wasn't as eventful as mine! Enjoy your day.

No comments: