Saturday, April 30, 2011

Marathon Grace

We rode our bikes to LP field to catch some of the excitement from the Music City marathon. Along the way, we met lots of cool people and soaked up the healthy energy from the runners and their supporters. It is amazing how great you feel when encouraging others! As we stood there shouting out to the runners as they passed and listening to the great local bands at Five Points in East Nashville, I felt so vibrant! What a beautiful morning to be out; the thought that these runners had all trained for a long time for this moment made me wish them success.

Standing there with us dancing and clapping was the prettiest, happiest older woman I've seen in a long time! She was running in place on the sidelines and said, 'I should be out there with them! Next time I will be!' When I (respectfully, of course) asked her age, she replied with a big beautiful smile, 'I will be 80 next week!' I was so blown away, all I could do was hug her. She works out at the community center every morning, and was walking back home when we met her. Her name is Ms. Swift, which we thought was very appropriate for this spry, youthful lady. We felt so blessed to have met her, and she was kind enough to let us take her proud picture. What a lady; we could all learn from her positive energy and grace.

No comments: