Saturday, October 2, 2010

Purpose...

My purpose for writing this blog is to to share our stories and experiences encountered while riding public transportation in Nashville, TN. I hope that those who are interested in living according to their values, and those who understand that we gain more by giving, will enjoy and appreciate our journey. Our lives have become richer due to what others may view as an inconvenience; we have come to learn what we can do without in order to appreciate what we really have. And as an added bonus, we save a lot of money that we are able to put toward our quality of life and education.

The story begins when we had only one vehicle, and I started riding the bus to school so my husband and son could go straight home after work/school. Belmont University, like several colleges and universities in Nashville, offered students, faculty and staff unlimited rides with MTA using their IDs as passes. Also, MTA had just recently built a new indoor facility for commuters to catch and change buses without being exposed to the elements and with increased security. So, I decided to take advantage of the offer and found that I enjoyed the freedom and convenience of getting back and forth to classes. My husband works at Vanderbilt University, so he had the same benefit of free MTA rides using his employee ID as a pass. 


I  thought I had just gained an alternative means of travel and didn't realize I would gain the opportunity to transform our family paradigm about our values and priorities. We had decided over 10 years ago not to have unnecessary debt, and havn't had a car payment during that entire time. So when our car finally died (may it rest in peace) over a year ago, we decided to buy our son a monthly student pass ($55.50 per month) and figure out how to navigate our way on the bus.


Getting back and forth to school and work was a snap since we made sure to find housing on the bus line and our work/school destinations are also. We had to learn what time to get on the bus close to home to make it to the bus depot and make our connecting bus to our final destination. Sounds simple, but not as easy as it seems. We have spent many moments with several bus schedules on the dining room table to coordinate times and schedules to arrive timely. And if you miss your first bus, we had to learn the alternative routes and times, and when that bus arrives at the depot (or somewhere close) so as not to miss the connecting route. I have to admit, we have run after many buses in the last year, but after you run after a few, you learn to be at the stop early just in case.


Speaking of running, we have noticed our son picking up the pace and taking the initiative to make sure he's where he needs to be on time. He has made sure to keep up with his wallet, where he keeps his bus passes, and after the couple of times boarding the bus and realizing he had left the wallet at home, he makes sure to always have his wallet and pass ready to ride. We also encourage him to take advantage of the commute time to read and stay ahead of his school work. This past summer he completed his summer reading requirement of 3 books a month before school started because he made a point of reading every time we rode the bus!


When it comes to other travel (besides work and school) we have found creative ways to 'get it done' on the bus. Shopping was an interesting experience since you don't think about how to carry everything when you have a car. When you're using public transportation (or walking) you have to consider packaging and carrying very carefully. Therefore, we learned to only purchase what we could carry (another money saving strategy). When I arrive at the store with my recycled bags (of course), I make sure to have at least one insulated bag for cold items and two to three others. Then I open the bags in the cart and pack them as I shop so I can make sure that everything fits, and that I can carry it all once I'm finished shopping. If I can't carry it in my bags, I can't buy it, period. When I arrive at checkout, I inform the cashier/bagger that I need the items returned to the same bags after purchase so I can carry them on the bus. Most find it challenging to try to re-pack the items exactly as I had them. We even purchased a little 'old lady' cart with wheels to put everything in once we are finished shopping so we don't have to carry bags on our shoulders.


Traveling back and forth for worship wasn't a challenge either because once we found the route, we realized it was another easy commute. The greatest challenge has been the well-meaning response of our spiritual family that just 'didn't want to see us on the bus'. We were offered a car by some and several rides by others. We have been happy to accept such kind gestures, but were saddened by the thought that we might have caused them some level of discomfort by thinking that we are disadvantaged in any way. The freedom, self-suffiency and convenience of riding the bus is hard to communicate to friends and family that feel that you must be needy if you chosen to ride the bus or walk.


Interesting enough, the health benefits of walking to and from the bus stop cannot be minimized. My weight has leveled off dramatically and our stamina has greatly improved. We can walk for blocks without complaint, and actually enjoy walking, talking and laughing together as a family. We all carry backpacks for 'hands free travel' and several people have actually called us 'the backpack family'! I find it humorous, so much that I say often, 'Backpack family, roll out!' or 'Backpack family, on the move!' My husband doesn't find this so humerous...


I've said all of this to say, instead of viewing being carless as an inconvenience, I've viewed it as a challenge and received more than I have given up in the process. As a result of the money we save, we are able to send our son to a wonderful, supportive and creative private school that will offer him the opportunity to give more than he takes from this world. Isn't that what life is all about?


Next blog....stories about the people we meet on the bus...you won't want to miss it!

No comments: