Saturday, December 4, 2010

Saturday Morning

As I boarded the bus this Saturday morning at 7:00, I looked around at all of the people who are riding to their various destinations while most people are still asleep. As I said my usual, 'Good Morning!' I didn't get much response; it's early and it's Saturday. But I saw people who work six, sometimes seven, days a week to support their families, but also to provide the kind of services that many take for granted. For instance, the woman who rides everyday and does laundry at one of Nashville's busiest downtown hotels, or the  woman who is a seamstress in Green Hills, or the gentleman who works overtime on the weekends doing janitorial work at Vanderbilt University. The people who benefit from these services are likely not thinking about the fact that these workers are up early on Saturday morning, riding the bus to provide the services they may take for granted. And yet, here we all are, on our way, talking, laughing and sharing a few moments together before we depart to care for our various duties.
As I head to my destination, I notice who else is out and about so early on a Saturday morning: young Vanderbilt students either out for an early morning run, or at Starbucks with books and laptops preparing for upcoming exams. I'm on my way to assist and supervise high school students as they take college entrance exams. As I walk from the bus stop, I can't help but think of the contrasting reasons for being out on this rainy Saturday morning for these groups of people, workers in the service industry and students. These diligent and steady workers are providing for their families, and providing needed services many of us take for granted. The hard working and focused students are preparing for their futures, and will likely become the recipients of those services. Each group needs the other, so we are all up early together to get to our various destinations, whether our goals are short or long range. Isn't it funny how sometimes we can be so focused on our own journey, that we don't think about where the other person is headed or where they have been?
After I arrived, a coworker's husband who was also assisting the students turned to me and asked, 'Did you take the bus here this morning?' to which I answered, 'Of course!'

2 comments:

Nancy VanReece said...

I have read this post every day for a week.

Carless and Carefree in Nashville TN said...

Nancy, thanks for reading and sharing.