Thursday, December 16, 2010

Bus Passes and Nashville History

An amazing, exciting thing happened at University School of Nashville yesterday. The school administrators agreed to give each employee (200 plus) all day bus passes as gifts! The Director of the school is offering everyone the challenge and opportunity to save on gas and take advantage of a public service many have never tried before! Maybe we will start a trend where local schools and businesses challenge their employees to improve their health (by walking to the bus) and help the environment. When we called the MTA staff to assist us with our rush order (a 24 hour turnaround) they were happy to help.

Imagine my excitement as I ran out today to catch the bus to the depot and pick up the passes. I was so excited, that I forgot my OWN bus pass! How ironic to be taking the bus to pick up passes as gifts to others and in need of a pass myself! Thankfully, the driver knows me well and allowed me to ride to the depot. The passes were there and ready as promised, along with informational brochures and schedules to assist our coworkers who may be riding for the first time.

On the way back to school, I had the opportunity to receive an interesting Nashville history lesson. A gentleman who is a Korean war veteran asked me if I was a native to Nashville. When I told him I was originally from Ohio, he replied, 'Me, too! I knew you looked familiar!' as if everyone from Ohio knows one another. Actually he had family from Ohio, but was reared here in Nashville. Well as the story progressed, he told me that Charlotte Pike used to be called Cedar Rd. and he remembered traveling it as a boy. He also admitted his father was a bootlegger, and had an interesting way of transporting his goods. His father would load up various fresh vegetable produce for sale and position them on the top portion of a wagon. Underneath the produce is where the white lightning was stashed. The gentleman I was speaking to and his cousin would haul the wagon from South Nashville down then Cedar (Charlotte) several miles. Along the way, they would sell their produce to various customers and deliver the white lightning to its final destination. When I asked him how they pulled their wagon, he said incredulously, 'Well, by horse, of course!'

I was quietly amused by the irony that I was bringing bus passes to people who are considering ditching their vehicles for a day to try public transportation, and at the same time talking to a man who remembers traveling the same routes using a horse drawn wagon! Transportation has come a long way, but it's still about getting safely from one place to another. We are challenging people to consider another means of accomplishing that goal. Today, I learned a bit about Nashville history and made a new friend, something I probably would not have done if I hadn't taken the bus today. I hope my coworkers will likewise have pleasant experiences when they go on their bus adventures. Happy travels...

2 comments:

Jan Maier said...

Kenya..I enjoyed this post and plan to read the archives as well......I was raised on public transportation in Cincinnati (I'm so old I rode street cars before the buses arrived)...lives revolved around the bus schedules.....I didn't even have my first car until I had been teaching a year across town. The trip to and from school involved three buses and two transfers...rain, shine or snow. I've lived in Nashville for 45 years and have NEVER used public transportation. You're inspiring me!! Happy Holidays, Jan Maier

Carless and Carefree in Nashville TN said...

Jan...thanks for reading and commenting; you have inspired me as well! I am from Dayton, Ohio and remember a time when our family rode the buses that were powered by overhead electric lines! Interesting, too, that since the flood there are several buses in Nashville on loan from Cincinnati to replace those lost or damaged. Looking forward to riding with you!