Monday, May 7, 2012

Precious Moments

Rough weekend personally, ladies and gentlemen, that's all I can say. Monday was actually a relief and the day ended with an opportunity to share all I am grateful for. I was still in a funk from the weekend's happenings, but was reminded of how wonderful and blessed life can be by two co-workers recounting near death experiences. One was a woman who came home just in time to find her husband in desperate need of medical attention, and the other happened to have a heart attack at the right time and right place. He recounted to us this morning how the woman he now calls his guardian angel was on her way to a sales call to sell cardiac medication when she noticed him going down. Had he been anywhere else, or if she were not as acutely aware, he may not have been there today to remind us of how blessed we all are despite the challenges.

Speaking of being where we are supposed to be at the proper time, this evening we were on our way home from the grocery store. As I sat at the MTA bus depot, I thought to myself what a waste of time this was to wait 15 to 20 minutes for the next bus. As I sat there, a young man with a beautiful baby came to me and asked for a dollar or two to get dinner for the baby. He also mentioned they were homeless. It's not up to me to judge whether this adorable baby was part of his con game. I had just been to the grocery store, so I asked if the baby could eat yogurt and I gave him some of what I had just purchased. And since I carry enough to almost be called an official 'bag lady', of course, I had a spoon in my lunch bag. The yogurt and a couple of apples later, all I could do is sit back on the seat, wait for that bus and realize why I needed to be right there at that moment. We are all where we need to be when we need to be. The trick is to be aware of the reasons why and being willing to act on such knowledge. Powerful, isn't it?

No comments: