Thursday, December 29, 2011

Recession Proof Commuting

Today's travels where varied and many, but through it all I was able to accomplish a lot and spend very little in comparison. The day started out costing only $2.10 for a bus pass for my son. After dropping him off with friends, I walked to work, a beautiful and brisk walk through the scenic Vanderbilt University campus. At lunch, I couldn't resist hitting the sidewalk again to splurge a little at Starbucks (a whopping $2.50) for a good cup of Joe and an excuse to get outside again. After work, I needed to go to Belmont University to get books for the upcoming semester, the most expensive excursion of the day. At least I could walk from the Vanderbilt area to Belmont at no cost; walking is still free, for now.

From there, I walked through the Belcourt/Acklin Park area back to the other side of Vandy's campus to pick up my son. Then we walked to West End to catch the bus toward downtown, another $1.05 for my son to ride. We got off the bus at West End and 25th Ave. so my son could meet his Dad and I could walk toward Church St. to catch the bus heading to WalMart in West Nashville. I reached WalMart in time to use my BOGO Subway coupon for a sub (half of which I'll have for lunch tomorrow) for dinner, purchase the few things on my list for less than expected and in time to catch the next bus headed downtown. I boarded the bus tired but satisfied that I had accomplished so much and spent so little while getting some exercise at the same time.

Planning my activities, my walking/bus routes and my spending is my recession survival plan. Works for me; why not give it a try? When combined, the cost of a bus pass and good walking shoes and even possibly a bike is a lot less than the cost of a car payment, insurance, auto repairs and gas. Consider it, and even if you don't decide to become car-free, think of ways that you can drive less, walk or bike more and save money. Your wallet and waistline will thank you later.

3 comments:

samiam said...

Just found your blog. Very cool. I'm in Nashville and been car-lite for about 3 1/2 years. Very interesting. I think things are getting better. More public transit and more bikes.

Melanie Gao said...

hi Kenya, I saw your name on the University School of Nashville's course catalog. I really wish I could attend your class on April 7th but we'll be out of town then. I've subscribed to your blog though so I can learn more about public transit in Nashville here.

Carless and Carefree in Nashville TN said...

Samiam, thanks for reading and sharing. We're getting there in Nashville with vehicle alternatives, slowly but surely.

Melanie, thanks for checking out the USN Evening Classes. We may do a second class in April because of the great response. Hopefully, if we do you can make it.