Saturday, June 25, 2011

Connections

One of the things that makes riding the bus so much fun is running into other commuters when we are not on the bus. Yesterday, I ran into two different bus riders, one at my work and the other at hers. It was nice to recall how we knew each other, which routes we take and to get to know each other 'outside the bus'. Just being able to connect with other people on a daily basis that I might not otherwise know or even notice is rewarding. We live in a world where we are more 'connected' than ever before in history, via cell phones, the Internet and other technological advances. But even with all of the ways to 'connect' how often do we have the opportunity to  really have meaningful interactions with the people around us? Riding the bus and meeting people in our community give me the opportunity to do that, and along the way meet some really interesting folks.
While meeting people and talking with them, it also gives us the opportunity to possibly make a difference in their day, which in turn makes a difference in ours. Often while riding the bus, I have occasion to talk to vendors of the homeless paper The Contributor. One vendor in particular we see and support regularly, and yesterday she was unusually burdened. Most of the time, she is upbeat and positive about her situation, but lately, things have been more difficult than usual. I didn't have any extra cash to share, but I did have something that would be of value to her. Earlier in the day, a co-worker gave me the bus pass that was a gift from our employer last year. She wasn't going to use it and wanted me to pass it on to someone who would need it. When my vendor friend told me of her stresses this week, I was able to give her that bus pass that will at least relieve the cost of commuting to work for one day. It wasn't much, but her gratitude made me thankful to have the opportunity to share.
So, it's a give and take that we enjoy while riding from one point to another; something I can't recall enjoying or even thinking about when I was able to hop in my car and speed to my destinations. The opportunity for human connection, interaction and assistance is what it's all about for me.

2 comments:

BLP said...

I think you really have the right idea - an attitude about connecting with people and how we take for granted the 'little things' that are often 'big things' for others. I, too have become acclimated to riding the bus!!! I've been so inspired by your blogs and your enthusiasm about your daily bus commute that I had to try it. I say that because until a couple weeks ago, I'd NEVER ridden a Nashville bus!!! And until a couple years ago, I'd NEVER ridden a city bus - period! My husband 'introduced' me to city buses when we were dating and took our first trip together to Chicago. Then again in NYC later that summer. But since being home in Nashville I'd never had the occasion to ride. Until one morning when my husband suggested I take the bus to meet him downtown after work so we could go out together and not have 2 cars. I said OK but the whole time I'm thinking, "OK, now which bus do I take and what time does it come, etc.??" So I get on the internet and start looking up schedules. I find the 15 bus that travels between downtown and Murfreesboro on Murfreesboro Rd. Perfect since we live in Nashboro Village! But then I couldn't figure out the time the bus would be at the stop in order for me to get downtown around 3PM when my husband gets off. So I ended up calling MTA and a very nice gentleman told me everything I needed to know. When it was almost time, I drove to Kroger (only because we were going out and it was a very hot day and I didn't want to be sweaty walking to the bus stop!) where I parked my car, walked across the parking lot and within a couple minutes, the bus came. I had no idea how much it would be but I had made sure I had a few singles and some change. I'd asked a gentleman also waiting and he told me $1.65. Wow - you can't beat that! Sure beats the cost of gas these days!!! So I get on the bus and I'm sitting there just checking out my surroundings and the other passengers. The bus went down Murfreesboro which then becomes Lafayette, then it turned on 5th. At 5th and Demonbruen I got off - this was right near the Doubletree where my husband works. Perfect!!! I loved it. And I got to do it again this past Thursday cuz we were going to dinner in the Gulch at Sambucas and then a mixer at The Wine Loft. And on the bus this time I saw a few of the same riders I'd seen a couple weeks earlier! It was so cool to see "old friends". So, I've decided that every chance I get, when it works with our schedule, I will take the bus. And judging the way my car has been recently, I may soon be joining you more often! LOL

Thanks Carless & Carefree!!!

BLP

Carless and Carefree in Nashville TN said...

BLP,

Thanks so much for sharing your story and enthusiasm! What a great experience. You are not alone in living in Nashville but never experiencing public transportation. My hope for you is many more pleasant experiences riding the bus in Nashville. Thanks for reading and sharing!