Sunday, November 28, 2010

Their Stories....

I've realized that I started writing to chronicle my family's experiences while riding the bus. Last night, after talking to another friend on the bus, I realized that this is not at all about us, but this is about them and their stories, the people we meet on the bus that inspire us, not the other way around.

The first time I really talked to my friend she was getting on the bus one Sunday morning on her way to work. She works sometimes seven days a week to support her five children ranging in age from pre-teen to early twenties. She was waiting for the bus, bruised and in tears from being mistreated and harassed by her boyfriend. He is the continuation of men who have let her down and taken advantage of her vulnerability and lack of self-esteem. From that day forward and every other time I get the chance to speak with her, I remind her of her value to herself, her children and the world.

Over the course of time, I also learned that one of her daughters has a brain tumor that will eventually be terminal. Despite the difficulty of her daily life and the weight of her daughter's illness, my friend still has a sense of humor and a smile each time our paths happen to cross on the bus; as she says, 'Hell, without a sense of humor, honey, we would all be crazier than we already are!' She hopes her daughter will get better, but both know the chances are slim, yet each time they visit her they share memories and laughter; they don't worry about what they can't control. What a great perspective...

The people we meet on our bus travels give us a chance to look at our lives and realize that we all have so much to be thankful for, no matter what our present circumstances. My hope is to share their stories including the hopes, dreams and tragedies that they are dealing with and willing to share that inspire us and hopefully encourage you.

No comments: